Wednesday 17 June 2009

A Canadian poet, a Welsh poet and an Irish poet walk into a bar...


Got back Monday night from a stellar week in UK, touring with poets Patrick McGuinness and Zoe Skoulding. I read in Bangor, Manchester (this, thanks to Evan Jones) and Oxford. I then spent a couple of days in London visiting with friends Eric and Irena Ormsby (who kindly put me up), Marius Kociejowski and Todd Swift. The Ormsbys also organized a dinner where I met poets Sebastian Barker (son of George Barker and Elizabeth Smart), his wife Hilary Davis and Christopher Middleton. Some nail-biting drama getting back home, however, as I ended up losing my passport at the always-chaotic Gatwick due to a colossal confusion at the check-in desk, and needed last-minute permission from the Canadian Deputy High commissioner. I made it on the plane by the skin of my teeth.



Bangor, Wales


Patrick protecting himself against the next Irish Famine by growing potatoes in his yard.


Zoe Skoulding reading at Ogilvie Theatre Foyer, St Anne's College, Oxford.


Yours truly reading at Ogilvie Theatre Foyer, St Anne's College, Oxford.


Ian Gregson reading at Ogilvie Theatre Foyer, St Anne's College, Oxford.


Patrick McGuinness reading at Ogilvie Theatre Foyer, St Anne's College, Oxford.


High Street, Oxford


Getting steadily spannered in an Oxford pub

No comments: