Sunday 3 April 2011

Sunday Poem


WATER GLASS


Sure fooled me.

Had me right up

to the tinselly scraping


when I downed

the last mouthful

and the ice cube turned


out to be glass.

Arrowhead.

Shark's fin.


Lifting it out

nearly cost me a finger

never mind


the carnage it

could've caused

in the throat.


Awe around the table

as if I'd gone

inadvertent skydiving


or breezed through

a tiger rodeo just while

sipping, squeezing in


a lime. See

how the trick is turned.

Thrilling to be fooled so,


like when I went to check

the time in Paris

and a thief's hummingbird


caress left me gaping

at my naked wrist.

That was a touch


I never felt, but this time

I'm suffered to see

how I'm spared.


Everyone wanted to touch it, tap,

test their fingers on the edge.

Makes you want


to try your luck again,

the way a carnival bohunkus

gawps at the stage;


then jets his hand

in the air with ballooning

faith. Me, me,


pick me, mister.

Saw me in half.

I believe.


From The Id Kid by Linda Besner, which will be launched April 17, 2010.


No comments: