Saturday 21 November 2009

Best Canadian Essays

When Alex Boyd invited me to edit The Best Canadian Essays 2009 with him I thought: no sweat. After all, I knew a thing or two about Canadian magazine writing from working at Maisonneuve for the last seven years.

Boy, was I wrong. The year-long task of sifting out the "best" left me with a greater appreciation for the range of excellent long-form pieces out there, both from writers new to me and from sources I had previously dismissed. The result is being launched in Toronto on November 26 at 7pm at Revival, 783 College Street. More info here.

I sorely wish I could be there (I'll be fighting for my life a few provinces away). If you can, drop by. The event features readings by contributors Nathan Whitlock, Alison Lee, and Kamal Al-Solaylee. But whatever you do, please buy a copy and reward Tightrope's willingness to take on the considerable financial risk of such a project.

No comments: